If you have a chance to read The Power of Habit* by Charles Duhigg, I highly recommend it. It’s a fascinating study on how the brain works, on how to make and break habits and routines.
One of the easiest ways to start creating a habit is to attach your new task to something you are already doing. Want to floss your teeth more regularly? Pick before or after you brush your teeth. Want to clean your sink and wash your dishes each night? Do it while you’re clearing the dishes from the dining table after dinner.
I confess though, that trying the above with flossing? It just didn’t work. What has been working for me? Game-ifying. Turning it into a game. I came across an app called Streaks. Each time you do the thing you want to work on, it extends your streak. If you stop or forget, it resets your streak to 0. Sounds simple, but it’s working for me.
31 Days 2016 - Reset Your Home
This post is a part of the series 31 Days to Reset Your Home, part of the 31 Days challenge. Please join me during the month of October. Each day I’ll be posting what I’m working on, challenges so you can join in, and update my progress (and hopefully hear about yours!). The 31 Days challenge is a writing challenge to pick a topic and write a post on it every day in October.
- 31 Days to Reset Your Home
- Resetting Your Morning Routine
- Resetting Your Evening Routine
- Resetting your Weekly Routine
- Declutter Week: Paper
- Declutter Week: The Left Behinds
- Declutter Week: The On Purpose
- Declutter Week: The Kitchen Pantry
- Declutter Week: Your Schedule
- Lovely Links – Oct 10
- In Other News – Kitchen Renovation Progress
- Deep Cleaning: Master Bedroom
- Deep Cleaning: Bathrooms
- Deep Cleaning: Living Room
- Deep Cleaning: The Kitchen
- After the Deep Clean
- A Good Sleep
- Another Kitchen Update
- Maintaining – How to Create a Habit
- The Art of Stress Free Productivity
- Resetting Your Email